Taipei: The Red House of Ximen
Built in 1908 during Japanese rule and designed by Japanese architect Kondo Juro, it was originally a market building but was used as a theater from 1945 onward. It was renovated due to a fire in the 2000s.
The Red House was listed as a Class III Historical Site in 1997. In 2016 the area was subject to an arson attack.
The Red House, a Western-style red-brick octagonal structure in Taipei’s Ximen space built in 1908, is Taiwan’s first public market and the most well-preserved class III historical site. Designed by Kondo Juro, a western-style architect in the prefectural civil engineering office at the time, the market entrance, incorporating both octagonal and cruciform shapes, was paralleled by no other in the east and west.
The market entrance also took on the eight trigrams (bagua) design considered boldly creative then. Octagon building, Cruciform Building, and the adjacent South-North Square are now collectively known as ‘The Red House’.
In November, 207, Department of Cultural Affairs commissioned Taipei Culture Foundation to manage The Red House. It underwent a series of cultural transformation including: at Octagon Building 2F Theater, Central Display Area, Grind of Hundred Treasure, The Red House Tea Shop, The Red House Boutique Area, at Cruciform Building Creative Boutique, The Cradle of Cultural Creative Dreamer, Riverside Live House, Market for Artist & Designers located by North Square and Outdoor Café located by South Square.
These changes provided better services to the general public, created a space of creativity, attracted crowds, and expanded the domain of overlapping cultural arts. The Red House has successfully transformed into a new cultural and creative industries development center in Taipei City.
- By MRT, Take the Blue Line 5 or Green Line 3 to Ximen (西門), Exit 1.
- Ximendeng – Ximen’s pedestrian shopping haven and one of the Taipei’s cultural centers, hosting a massive variety of fashion clothing shops, eclectic restaurants, clubs, and bars. Located just across the intersection.
PART OF OUR TAIWAN GETAWAY
- NORTH COAST: Yehliu Geopark | Pingxi Sky Lantern | Shifen Waterfalls | Golden Waterfalls | Jiufen Old Street | Wanli Abandon UFO Houses
- TAIPEI: Ximendeng | Taipei 101 | Maokong Gondola | Elephant Mountain | Taipei Peace Park | Taipei Zoo | Chiang Kai Shek Memorial | Shilin Night Market | The Red House
- TAICHUNG: Zhongshe Flower Farm | Xinshe Castle | Rainbow Village | Gaomei Wetland Park