Taichung: Xinshe Castle, A Glimpse of Europe in Taiwan
A European-themed resort located in the mountainous part of Taichung, Taiwan. More widely known as the Xinshe Castle (named after the district it was built), by stepping in you feel like you’ve been teleported into a fairytale fantasy location coming to life. Incredibly picturesque, the place is so serene and relaxing.
We haven’t gone to Europe yet (though we already visited the UK once), let alone saw a European castle. But according to one of the caretakers here, the story of why the Summit Mountain Resort was built, is for them to have a glimpse of Europe. Taiwan was once mired into poverty, and overseas travel was out of reach except for those who have the luxury to do it.
The resort became a success on its objective, through their medieval-themed buildings with the vibe of like being in Europe. There is a charming mansion, elegant manor, chateau, winery, ponds, and an elegant garden, that are so Instagram-worthy. To look more authentic, all structures were built with red stone blocks.
We came on a weekday so visitors are just a few, but even if the tourists come in droves it will not look very crowded due to its size. Most of the visitors we encountered were in pairs – couples doing their prenuptial pictorial. Aside from being charming, the place looks romantic so it’s no wonder why it is a prime photoshoot location.
With only NT$250 you can enjoy the entire resort, and there is also an NT$100 rebate consumable for drinks. The only thing is, the foods in their restaurant are so expensive, but you can save much by bringing your own food here.
The downside during our visit is their pond is almost dry. You can see the poor fish swimming sideways in whatever water that was left. The waterfall is not working as well, so you may not enjoy much passing by here. There are also small insects in some places that are so annoying.
Even with its shortcomings, the scenery is still picturesque, and its ambiance is very relaxing. Definitely worth a visit if you’re in Taichung.
- NT$250 (NT$100 – consumable in beverages)
- Opening Hours
- Telephone: +886-4-25825628
- Address: No.65, Xiezhong St., Xinshe Dist., Taichung City 426, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
- Website: http://www.summit-resort.com/
- Take bus 270, 271, 276 or 277 outside the Taichung railway station; and get off at Zhongxingling Bus Station (中興嶺). It takes around 1 hour. Then, you may take a taxi or walk for around 35mins to the resort.
PART OF OUR TAIWAN GETAWAY
- NORTH COAST: Yehliu Geopark | Pingxi Sky Lantern | Shifen Waterfalls | Golden Waterfalls | Jiufen Old Street | Wanli Abandon UFO Houses
- TAIPEI: Ximendeng | Taipei 101 | Maokong Gondola | Elephant Mountain | Taipei Peace Park | Taipei Zoo | Chiang Kai Shek Memorial | Shilin Night Market | The Red House
- TAICHUNG: Zhongshe Flower Farm | Xinshe Castle | Rainbow Village | Gaomei Wetland Park